Calligraphy is all about practice. And the best way to get that practice is by using calligraphy for beginners worksheets to get your daily brush pen lettering practice done easily. There are many free printable resources that you can use (just choose the right paper particularly if you are using brush pen markers). There are also entire workbooks printed and bound for your calligraphic practice for a small fee.
Here is our ultimate guide to calligraphy for beginners worksheets, practice sheets and spacing guide sheets to bring your calligraphic skills up a level.
Brush Lettering Calligraphy For Beginners Worksheet
This beginner calligraphy worksheet comes with recommended pens and a variety of brush lettering styles, from very ornate to simpler styles. You can practice connected and not connected fonts with this worksheet, and there is a handy font guide on the first page that shows all the alphabets used.
If you are just starting and want basic calligraphy for beginners worksheets, Dawn has also provided a really cool one here. It is simpler and perfect for daily practice to learn how to use brush pens. Her entire website is a great calligraphy resource, with many free and paid courses and ebooks.
Another great calligraphy for beginners worksheet full of drills by scribblinggrace can be found here. Commit to doing at least one page every day and you will soon notice improvements on your technique.
For brush pen calligraphy the Tombow Fudenosuke brush pens are great and very affordable. They don’t bleed, which means you don’t need really thick paper to use them.
- Contains both the soft and hard tip Fudenosuke Brush Pens
- Features a flexible brush tip for different lettering and drawing techniques
- Create extra fine, fine or medium strokes by a change in brush pressure
- Great for calligraphy and art drawings
- Soft tip and hard tip water based, pigmented black ink
Studio Series Calligraphy Paper Pad
- Peter Pauper Press (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 50 Pages - 12/01/2014 (Publication Date) - Peter Pauper Press (Publisher)
50 sheets of heavyweight paper that are already lined with a preprinted grid for slanted practice. This calligraphy paper pad works for beginners and advanced users who need no-bleed paper to use with brush pens and dip pens. The slanted grid makes it easier to angle the letters without getting in the way but it doesn’t have pre-printed letters as guidance. Better used with a companion guide that shows how to trace the different letters if you are new to calligraphy.
Pencil Calligraphy Worksheet For Beginners
This worksheet is a great free resource for pen calligraphy practice. It is designed to work with pens, which means you can print it on basic printer paper. It’s great if you just want to practice on the go without worrying about markers or actual ink spilling on your bag.
You can download it here.
Dip Pen Calligraphy For Beginners Worksheet
Another free resource by TPK, this is not exactly a regular worksheet. It is designed to help you practice different types of strokes using a dip pen before you move on to more complex lettering.
You can download it for free here.
The speedball H9455 Oblique Pen Holder and Nikko Pen Nibs are great for beginners and very affordable. Remember, at the beginning practice is the most important thing so buying very expensive calligraphy sets is not worth it.
- Oblique pen holder
- Holds 101 and 103 pen points
- Perfect for drawing and lettering
- Designed for Copperplate and Spencerian script
Handwritten Calligraphy for Beginners Worksheets
Bohoberry offers all the printables you may ever need in exchange for your email address. If you are into bullet journaling this resource is a goldmine of printables and inspiration that you should bookmark. There are new printables added every month.
You may also be interested in
- Quarry handle lettering art pack book
- Quarry handle lettering art pack book- a guide to modern lettering, calligraphy, and art techniques
- This guide to modern calligraphy combines traditional lettering styles, fun and scripty modern styles, and artistic street-style lettering, along with project ideas that incorporate creative lettering
- The companion sketchbook provides prompts and space to practice
- Gain new skills and confidence
It contains both a book/course perfect for beginners, and a companion sketchpad to put that knowledge into practice. You can start by tracing with tracing paper first, before progressing to actually drawing the letters on your own looking at the examples.
Calligraphy For Beginners Worksheet Notepad
- Gray & Gold Publishing (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 116 Pages - 12/28/2016 (Publication Date) - Gray & Gold Publishing (Publisher)
Over a hundred pages of calligraphy worksheets for beginners, it’s probably cheaper than actually printing your own and cheap enough you don’t feel intimidated to practice on it. The paper is not the thickest, so it would work better with pencil calligraphy than actual dip pens. Depending on the brand of brush pen you are using it will work as well, though if you like very dark, intense colors they will bleed through.
Hand Lettering Practice Pad
- Lettering, Calligraphy & Script Books (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 122 Pages - 09/01/2017 (Publication Date) - CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (Publisher)
This calligraphy practice book includes 120 pages of angled lines, straight lines and dot matrix practice sheets of no-bleed paper. Suitable for dip pens and brush pens, this is a great pad for aspiring calligraphers as you will have a lot of pages to practice.
Inovart Calligraphy Underliners
- Guides correspond to the 6 most popular Calligraphic lettering nibs - Fine, Medium, Broad, B2, B3 and B4
- Place under paper to use as guidelines for calligraphy or transfer lettering
- Guides are made of durable, heavy-weight translucent vellum stock
- Paper is neutral ph and acid-free
If you have a lightbox this set of underliners is a great alternative to printing or tracing guides on paper yourself, as they are reusable. They are made of thin, translucent plastic and correspond to the 6 most popular callgraphic lettering nibs – fine, medium, broad, b2, b3 and b4. You may be able to use them without a lightbox if you use very white, thin paper, but a lightbox makes it much easier. They are also quite cheap and very useful for copying and tracing sketches and worksheets from books.
- Portable and Slim- The thickness is only 5mm(less than 0.3 inch) which makes it easy to carry. Dimension: 14.1 inch x 9.4 inch. The illumination is perfectly even, super bright, and flicker-free
- USB Powered: Comes with a USB cable, easily power the light box from any Computer, Power Bank or USB Plug that connects directly into a wall outlet.Working Voltage: DC 5V,Rate Power: 3.2W.
- The brightness is adjustable,so you can set it to to your preference. Flicker-Free super bright long last Led light.Touch sensor Switch Design , turn on/off and brightness control easily just by touch.
- Ideal for Stenciling, 2D Animation, Calligraphy, Embossing, Scrap-booking, Sketching & Drawing, Sewing projects, Stained Glass, Quilting, Appliqué etc
- Adjustable Brightness - Our tracing light box has three brightness settings to choose from. With just a touch of a button you can choose the optimal setting for drawing or sketching during the day or night.
- Ultra Thin Light Box - Measuring at 5mm thick, this light pad is easy to work on and portable. Comes with rubber pads on the back to prevent it from sliding around on your work surface.
- Accessories Included - Comes with an extra long 11 foot USB cable to give you more flexibility at your home or office. Also includes a power adapter, clip, and 10 tracing sheets to get you started.
- Multiple Uses - This light table is the perfect accessory for any hobbyist, artist, architect, or doctor. Perfect for sketching, tattoo tracing, architectural design, 2 dimensional animation, X ray viewing, calligraphy, embossing, stained glass, industrial design, scrapbooking, and more.
- Built In Ruler - As an added bonus, there is a measurement ruler printed on the surface on both the length and width.
- 【Innovative Design】Even though the light pad is ulta-thin(0.2'') and light weighted,it's with solid material and workmanship to make its base sturdy enough that without deformation. 2 magnetic pins hold the paper on the surface of the light box to prevent it from moving. It comes with the horizontal and vertical rulers on the surface,making you easier to draw at the corresponded position accurately.
- 【Adjustable Brightness】The built-in LED light of the drawing board is flicker free and eyes protecting. The brightness of the tracing pad can be adjusted in 3 different levels by pressing the button to match the ambient brightness of your background.The light pad will not leak the light out of the box from the rim，to ensure not disturb you from drawing.
- 【Wide Application】This tracing pad is ideal for stenciling, 2D animation, calligraphy, embossing, scrapbooking, tattoo transferring, sketching & drawing, streaming, sewing projects, stained glass, quilting X-ray viewing etc. Providing you a best gift for Christmas, birthdays or other holidays.
- 【USB Powered】Comzler Tracing light box comes with 1pc USB power cable, you can easily power the light box by linking any laptop, power bank or USB adaptor.We adopt type-C port in order to prevent the cable from connecting untightly into the plug, so that to hold a charge.
- 【Reliable Quality】The dimmable brightness feature & Eco-friendly LED light source ensure to reduce calorific value and the life span is up to 20000 hours. Don’t worry about being disappointed this product. We'd love to replace it if you are not completely satisfied.^_^ manufacturer_minimum_age：Over 5 years old
- 3-fold eye protection, A4 light table，translucent and comfortable. Imported panel protective film, imported LED eye-loving light, constant current and constant pressure.
- Three-level adjustment，Light Box Tracer， Just touch the switch to turn it on, let go to stabilize the brightness, touch again to switch the brightness.
- Ultra-thin design: LED Artists Light Box，imported panel with high light transmission, imported acrylic panel, good toughness, thinner only 0.12 inches under the same pressure resistance
- USB power supply: light table，can be used with various power supply equipment. Universal interface 5V power supply Constant current and constant voltage, comfortable and stable, original constant voltage and constant current technology, energy-saving colleagues, stable light source, no flicker, no hot
- It should be extensive: LED Artists Light Box，the copying station can be used as professional animation copying, animated line drawing, calligraphy and calligraphy, CT film viewing,
- LARGE SIZE DRAWING BOARD: This is a large size of LED tracing light box which can fully cover the range of A2-type paper. The ray of light uniformly illuminates the surface of drawing board and thus, giving you a clearer and better visual experience for drawing.
- USER-FRIENDLY DESIGN: With high photosynthetic efficiency as well as high brightness, this LED light tracing pad gives out less heat than other similar products on the market. The service life of the product can be reached up to 50000 hours, so it can work for a long period of time.
- ADJUSTABLE BRIGHTNESS: The illuminance of the drawing board is possessed of stepless adjustment and the brightness is from 0% to 100%. Long press the touch button, it allows you to control LED light tracing box in a free and effective way.
- EYESIGHT PROTECTION TECHNOLOGY: One of the most outstanding features of this tracing light broad is that it is used by technology of flicker-free and eyesight protection. As a result, you don’t need to worry that it will hurt your eyes under a long time of working environment.
- VERSATILE-USE: This type of large size of LED light tracing broad with ergonomic design has wide range of application and it can be applicable to all sorts of different fields. For instance, it can be used in drawing, sketching, 2D animation, calligraphy, cartoon and tattoo etc.
Speedball 003069 The Speedball Textbook 24th Edition – Calligraphy Instruction Book
- THE BEST CALLIGRAPHY RESOURCE - For artists and letterers of all ages and skill levels
- EDITED BY WELL-KNOWN CALLIGRAPHERS - Featuring the vision of new co-editors, Angela Vangalis and Randall Hasson
- ENHANCED CONTENT - Provides readers with instruction and inspiration for techniques and styles ranging from medieval to modern scripts
- INSPIRATIONAL - Showcases the work of nearly 70 of the most well-known and well-respected modern-day scribes from around the world
- CELEBRATING 100 YEARS - Featuring 120 pages, the 24th edition of The Speedball Textbook represents a celebration of the 100th year anniversary of the first edition's debut.
So technically this is not a calligraphy for beginners worksheet, but it needs to be here because it’s such an awesome resource. It covers many different font families and shows detailed information on how to trace the different letters, which you can use on your own worksheets as a reference. Coupled with the Inovart underlines this will teach you a lot about calligraphy and technique, and it’s also a great source of inspiration.
In calligraphy, practice makes perfect. But practicing on the same letters and styles all the time can be really boring. It is easier to get several types of calligraphy for beginners worksheets and alternate between them. If you find a particular kind of stroke or style challenging, focus on worksheets that cover those letters and alternate with easier ones as warmup or for relaxation. Above all, enjoy! Calligraphy should be fun and relaxing!